Sweatin' it out...for now

I'm living in good ole' G-ville, SC and spending time with my fam here. I'm also working at a children's home in the area. Fun times.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Greenville, South Carolina, United States

I am currently working as a Family Teacher at a children's home in Clinton, SC.

Monday, May 29, 2006

Out on the town

So, last night I got to go out and see the sights with some of the girls who go to our church. Two of them are language students at the school Ken and Diana go to and the other girl's parents are also in that school. We went to the tourist market and I got a REALLY great necklace. I will post a picture as soon as I figure out how. I also got a carpet bag purse. Again, supper nice. Then we walked around the center of the city, people watching and talking. We almost got lost in a crowd that we soon found out was a political rally concerning the upcoming Mexican presidential elections. Whew! Made it out of that alive. Then, we visited the huge, old Catholic Cathedral. I do believe it is the oldest building I've ever been in. The murals on the wall were so old that they almost looked like stick figures but in really intricate settings. We couldn't get an answer why, but over the main Cathedral doors, right under the main bell tower there is a five to six foot tall skull and cross-bones, like you would see on a pirate ship or poison bottle or something, carved into the wall. Our guess is that since Catholicism has been mixed almost inextricably with native religions and superstitions in this area, and so it is a native influence. Perhaps this is the reason, perhaps not. Next, we went to a beautiful outdoor garden with fountains and arch ways and an archeological sight you can tour. Our final destination was very modern coffee house on the second story of a really cool looking old theatre. Apparently they have plays there and have local film festivals and such there. I will go back hopefully to catch some of this. Well, that was my first official night out on the town. It was much more fun than it sounds in paper and pictures would add a lot. Hopefully soon I can remedy that problem. Hopefully, I'll go back out tonight with the same girls +1 and we'll see what other things there are to see.

3 Comments:

Blogger A. Noel said...

Jodes, I know and feel and smell exactly what you described on your first night out. I always loved that musty incense smell in the cathedrals for some reason too...
At first it's pungent and off-putting, but after awhile it's Mexico. I'm really envious that I can't be there but excited that you are going to get to know the real Mexico- culture, people, music, food, language, heartbreaks- that I came to love and long for again.

Tue May 30, 08:02:00 PM  
Blogger S.D. Smith said...

I went to a Mexican Restaurant recently, I don't know if you've ever heard of it, it is very authentic, right down to the authentic spanish-like spellings. It was called "Taco Bell." I ordered something the natives called a "taco." I'm not sure I'm spelling these things right, it was kind of an overwhelming cross-cultural experience. The person behind the counter could barely speak the Queen's English, but he otherwise appeared to be an American High School student. He must be more comfortable with Pesos because he did not give me correct change. Anyway, I am glad that the Jodith blog is up and running. I think you sould include a fun fact about Mexico frequently, but that is just a reader suggestion. Do you have any insight into the early life of Slowpoke Rodriguez? I believe he pack a gun. Anyway, seriously, good to hear from Mexico and happy belated Battle of Puebla Day to you and all the people (or person) in Mexico who read (s) the ACI. Oh Mexico, I've never really been but I'd sure like to go.

Thu Jun 01, 03:03:00 PM  
Blogger gina said...

Hey Jodi. Nice to see you in the blogosphere. Can 't wait to see your new necklace and carpet bag. You've always had an eye for that sort of thing. Also, you should look for cool beads while you are there and you could make your own necklace or earrings or whatever when you get back. Just a thought. Love ya.

Thu Jun 01, 04:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home