Sweatin' it out...for now

I'm living in good ole' G-ville, SC and spending time with my fam here. I'm also working at a children's home in the area. Fun times.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Greenville, South Carolina, United States

I am currently working as a Family Teacher at a children's home in Clinton, SC.

Friday, June 16, 2006

Jodi's Chicken Rice and Bean Chowder deluxe

Well, that's the name Daniel gave it anyway. Last night we had chicken and Daniel asked his mother if we could have chicken noodle soup with the leftovers. PB&J sandwiches were on the menu, but Diana said that if I wanted to try something, go right ahead. Well, I haven't made soup for a very long time, and really have never cooked without a recipe, but since Daniel wanted it so badly and we did have a backup plan if all failed, I decided to accept the adventure. So, around 11:15, out came the leftovers. We didn't have noodles so I decided to use the salsa rice from last night that we had with the chicken. There was a lot of it and I knew we would never eat it this weekend. Also, my mom had put rice in soup before, so why not try it. Then, I put in the last of the refried beans, about half a cup, and the last two pieces of chicken from last night, de-boned of course. Well, I added some water and some garlic and onion, a few spices and let it heat up and simmer. Meanwhile, I got out the few corn tortillas left from last night and fried them on the griddle to make chips. I found out that this is not the best way to fry them in that it does not achieve maximum crunchiness, but they were still good. I'll have to do some more experimenting with that one. Maybe more oil and less surface area will do the trick. Well, around noon the soup was ready and everyone came over to have a look. Hmmm. Looks a little bit scary, kind of like chickeny water and soggy rice. But, Daniel and I decide to give it a try anyway while the girls start on the PB&J. We just added a little cheese, a little sour cream, and some fried tortilla bits on top, and you have Jodi's Chicken, Rice and Bean Chowder Deluxe. I must say that despite the looks and humble beginnings, it was very good. Daniel even declared that it was one of the best soup lunches he had ever had and had a second bowl! Of course, he is a growing teenage boy and probably would eat his shoe if he has hungry enough, but my was it tasty. So, that's my adventure for the day. Mexico Mentionable: The grass smells different here when it is cut. It is less sweet, more strong and bitter. It looks the same though except that it is greener.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jodes,

Thanks for the recipe! I wonder if the oil were hotter if the tortillas would be crunchier? I'm sure Diana's already given you the answer to the tortilla dilemma. You'll have to cook some of that deluxe soup for us when you come back to the land of the free. We sure do love you and miss you a ton!

Jessi (& co.)

Mon Jun 19, 10:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, well, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence...river...border...concrete wall with embedded broken glass bottles... :) How are the fruit vendors? Do they drive around your neighborhood selling "naranjas, naranjas, 20 centavos" and shouting at crazy hours of the morning? How 'bout a "torta hawaiiana"? Have you tried one yet (of course, from a reputable tortaleria)? They're yummy--that fresh bread, fresh mozarella, avacado, pinapple, ham and salsa, all fried up, hot and fresh! How 'bout Mexican icecream? Have you tried avacado icecream yet? It's great! Your blog is great, Jo! We're praying for you! Don't try "pancha". It's yucky! Are people still saying "Que Padre" to mean "cool"? What about "Padrisimo" to mean "super cool"? My host sister's favorite, weird slang expression was this: Matame con tu pestana bionica. Translation: Kill me with your bionic eyelash. I guess it has to be said with a rich cheerleader tone of voice and implies that people that are "fake" can't really hurt me. It's a bit odd, but her favorite slang, nonetheless! :) Sorry, I never could figure out how to email with accents and tildes! Anyway, hope you're having a great day (and that you don't get the idea that I'm a good emailer or blogger, even though this is long!)!
Love,
Carolyn

Wed Jul 26, 11:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home